Learning Activity 3-3

As a secondary mathematics teacher, my past courses of instruction have predominantly been for grades 9-12. However, this is my second year teaching a sixth grade math class due to scheduling needs. Even though I have enjoyed this insight into the world of younger math students, it can sometimes be challenging for me to engage and relate to these students who are so much younger than my sophomores and seniors. When I was searching for a blog example, I found the class blog of Mrs. Moore’s students from Arizona. You can find it here https://mooreclassmath.edublogs.org/

With the most recent post on the home page being from 2021, the blog is a place for students to post creative writing snippets along with class-related reflections. After I dug a little deeper into the blog, I especially liked the component where students included entries that described their class and introduced them to the world. You can find this here https://mooreclassmath.edublogs.org/about-us/

It is pretty evident on the blog that the fifth grade students enjoyed personalizing it to make it about them and truly express themselves on the page. I thought this might be a helpful approach for my sixth graders if we incorporated a classroom blog. This type of blog project, combined with appropriate mathematics components, would be a fun and engaging middle school level task. As a secondary teacher who sometimes struggles to relate to sixth grade students, this type of blog approach would be a great start!

2 thoughts on “Learning Activity 3-3”

1. I love this class blog! The students certainly put a lot of work into this. I love the section with their favorites listed. My own 8th graders love to talk about their interests in music, video games, books, movies, and more! I am trying to gather ideas for creating a class blog, and I think I am going to include this! I think I could also tailor it to my school and curriculum. I could have my students include their favorite things about being a cyber school student, and their favorite topics from our US History class. Thanks for the ideas here!

2. This is great. Allowing students to post about their interests allows opportunities to build rapport with them. If you have common interests, that’s even better. Having them share helps to validate them. It’s important though to comment equally in response to their posts.